/usr/lib64/jvm/java symlink

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Sun May 15 14:29:30 CEST 2016

On 2016-05-15 11:57, Tomasz Pala wrote:
> I'm trying to compile qgis using gdal:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libjvm.so, needed by /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pld-linux/5.3.0/../../../../lib64/libgdal.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>
> gdal.rpm requires libjvm.so, so I've installed the same java version it was
> compiled with, i.e. openjdk8-jre-base; however libgdal.so uses
> /usr/lib64/jvm/java path, which exists in openjdk8-jdk:
> /usr/lib64/jvm/java -> openjdk8-8u72.b15
> JRE contains only
> openjdk8-jre -> openjdk8-8u72.b15/jre
> symlink.
>
> Something needs to be fixed: either
> - gdal should require JDK package - overkill, or

It is link time dependency, so it would be normal do include 'devel'
package and JDK is 'devel'. But I agree, it is a bit of overkill here.

> - symlink should be moved to JRE,

IMHO this is the way to go.

 or
> - symlink should be moved to some java-default package and this one
>   should be required by gdal,

The split between *-jre and *-jre-base is just for this – -jre is the
'default' JRE (only one installed) and -jre-base is the actual JRE, but
without anything conflicting with another JRE implementation

Jacek