ldconfig forgotten

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Tue May 31 22:33:06 CEST 2016

On 31.05.2016 18:50, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On May 31, 2016, at 2:52 AM, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>
>> On 31.05.2016 09:45, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>>> [root at 57c8cccdc671 bin]# poldek -u procps
>> oh, and it's 100% reproducible:
>>
> Yes. And it has been discussed many times over the last 15y,
> several times on this list.

sadly nothing concluded in the past (read: nothing was fixed)

i'll apply your patch and push after some testing

however, i'd like to comment few parts:

> Short answer:
> 	Disable the mechanism with attached patch to lib/psm.c
> 		- OR --
> 	Don't use
> 		%scriptlet -p /sbin/ldconfig
> 	in packages that are known to invoke an executable that depends on
> 	a new library.

in my case the last scriptlet was skipped as pointed out by jacek,
and the problem was that after whole rpm transaction was finished one
last ldconfig was not ran so the last library SONAME symlinks were missing
and the package own scriptlet did not invoke any program from package.

> Longer answer:
> 	The fix of running /sbin/ldconfig manually is rather simple
> 	(even if the problem is obscure).
even the fix may seem simple, it's not a solution, as packages may be
upgraded automatically and end user should not know that he needs to run
sudo ldconfig to troubleshoot. pld linux th is rolling distro, so the
updates are not scheduled to 4th month of the year like some other distro.

also the optimization is pointless nowadays, as glibc has
/var/cache/ldconfig/aux-cache which makes redundant ldconfig calls noop.

i prefer reliability over broken optimization.

--
glen