[projects/pld-builder.new] drop building intel drivers and nvidiabl for head kernels

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Tue Oct 11 23:44:51 CEST 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> On 12.10.2016 00:15, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> > Fix it then. This driver is unmaintained for years and does not build
> > with kernel 4.8.
> that was not the point of the email to tell me "fix it then"
>
> the point was that you drop some package, don't even inform you are
> about to do so, or ask for help updating. with bulld errors, etc details
> like normal bugreports are createA

I remove packages after I see breakage sitting around in th-test for a
long time and no one interested in fixing it.

Any dev breaking stuff should be aware of the consequences and take
action to minimize breakage.

I'm not a nanny or Mr. Fix-it for everything.

> and now you respond: "why don't i update myself?"
>
> because you've being doing it so well i don't even notice problems that
> i should bother myself with and can keep occupied with other projects.

Sorry, but I'm sick of kernel modules being randomly dropped on ftp and
then forgotten by package authors. I end up maintaining antiquated junk
I have no way of testing, and until reently, we did ship not working
crap there (chnages to kernel compile flags helped finding those).

>From now on, if a kernel package does not build for new head kernel and
no obvious fix is available, I will drop such package on head.
If you want antique module, stick to old kernel.

--
Jan Rękorajski                    | PLD/Linux
SysAdm | baggins<at>pld-linux.org | http://www.pld-linux.org/