mysql/percona/maria...

Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Sat Oct 29 11:17:22 CEST 2016

On Saturday 29 of October 2016, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> On 29.10.2016 11:25, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > how is it planned to handle that mysql.spec is now different product
> > (mysql vs percona)
> > and all those mariadb and percona-server packages.
> >
> > mysql 5.6 -> 5.7 MAY NOT be upgraded automatically.

Here oracle 5.7 started fine with percona 5.6 db files but you are probably
right and in some cases it won't work.

> > if someone used
> > features from percona-server 5.6 that are now not present in
> > mysql-community version in mysql.spec 5.7 their systems would be BROKEN.
> >
> > some idea: rename mysql.spec to mysql-community.spec ?
> >
> > should we introduce mysql57, mysql80 packages instead?

Only if there are incompatible on upgrade path. To be verified with docs.
Otherwise all versions as mysql package.

> > ps: fedora has their mysql named as community-mysql.spec
>
> here's some idea:
>
> 1. make percona-server.spec:5.7 clean upgrade path from mysql.spec:5.6
> 2. do not build mysql.spec officially at all
> 3. build system tools using percona-server-devel via "Provides:
> mysql-devel" 4. mariadb - ship it only if it does not conflict with
> mysql-libs or mysql-devel

Sounds good to me.

(I would switch entire distribution to mariadb though (but keep percona server
package, too)

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz, arekm / ( maven.pl | pld-linux.org )