pld rpm 5.4.17

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Thu Jan 12 19:01:59 CET 2017

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Elan Ruusamäe <glen at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>
> On 12.01.2017 19:20, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>> Otherwise:
>> 	Did rpm-5.4.17 build correctly?
> yes. otherwise i wouldn't able to get the db error, right? :)
>
> anyway, i haven't looked yet the logs if proper db was linked, but i'm sure it was because there was no other db version available at build time. but need to check to be sure.

The issue has to do with explicit -I/usr/include/dbXY in CFLAGS and implicit /usr/include for
	#include <db.h>
when /usr/include/dbXY is not present or is empty and “system db” != dbXY.

The wrong <db.h> (with different #define values) can be included, leading
to very bizarre/scary rpmdb failures at run time.

A proper fix to limit the include search somehow is a huge PITA (and so I haven’t bothered).

But I see rpmdb issue(s) frequently while developing RPM on various platforms that
aren’t yet setup correctly, sigh.

73 de Jeff