Going back to IcedTea, openjdk8 is obsolete

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Jun 5 08:46:36 CEST 2017

On 2017-06-05 00:46, Tomasz Pala wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:51:55 +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
>
>> I gave it a try and managed to build PLD packages with it. Those seem to
>> work on x32 properly and have no limit on crypto keys length. Much
>> better than the openjdk8-* packages.
>>
>> I suggest that openjdk8 packages should be obsoleted and icedtea8 should
>> be used as our JDK from now on, unless someone finds some problems with it.
>>
>> And a reminder: Oracle Java has really evil license, which does not
>> allow us to redistribute it with the distribution. OpenJDK/IcedTea is
>> the only way for us.
>
> objdump -x /usr/lib64/libgdal.so | grep RPATH
>   RPATH                /usr/lib64/jvm/java........../jre/lib/amd64/server
> libjvm.so resides in:  /usr/lib64/jvm/icedtea8-3.4.0/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so
>
> /usr/lib64/jvm/java -> icedtea8-3.4.0 symlink is provided by icedtea8-jdk
> - this package contains symlinks and manuals only, BUT also:
>
> Requires:       icedtea8-jar = 3.4.0-1, icedtea8-jdk-base = 3.4.0-1
> 		one symlink and 2 mans, ...20 MB of unnecessary stuff

The Requires are the main part of this package – as it brings all the
stuff together to make the complete 'JDK'.

> I'm not a JAVA guy, however this seems to be swapped: icedtea8-jdk and
> icedtea8-jdk-base. I need the directory symlink mentioned only (to be
> suggested by gdal).

Only the symlink, or rather the libjvm.so library with all the dependencies?

The library is a part of the JRE. I guess we could move the
%{_libdir}/jvm/java symlink to icedtea8-jre, but it still needs to pull
whole JRE (that is still less than JDK).

The symlink is there to allow multiple JDK/JRE versions installed (Java
world is crazy and one may need that) – the symlink points to the
current default one.

Jacek