pld rpm 5.4.17

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Sat Mar 4 22:17:40 CET 2017

> On Mar 4, 2017, at 4:30 AM, Jakub Bogusz <qboosh at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>
> And one more patch, to make rpm4compat.h header usable again.
> fdSize() became exported function, so stop defining static function of
> the same name.

Thanks for the patch.

Note that maintaining an API compatible rpm4compat.h include for an abandoned (by rpm5.org in 2007)
API from rpm.org (which is explicitly and overly hostile even to polite inquiries) is rather non-maintainable
in rpm5 sources.

The underlying issue is that fdSize() is being phased out: there are methods replacing the size_t value
returned by fdSize.

Both a FD_t and a Header type carry a full stat(2) structure. And network/pipe I/O has a
synthesized stat(2) with many additional values than st_size.

So fdStat() will surely disappear again, and similar for rpm4compat.h, on some long time scale.

hth

73 de Jeff