[packages/systemd] rel 1

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Sat Oct 12 10:05:40 CEST 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 16:36:00 +0200, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:

>> BTW which docs?
>
> NEWS:
>
>         * During package installation (with `ninja install`), we would create
[...]
>           done anymore, and instead calling `systemctl preset-all` is
>           recommended after the first installation of systemd.

So this is indeed purely for making system usable after initial install.

We might consider this in %post install, however the base units are/were
enabled directly in systemd.rpm package (i.e. results of this preset-all
are/were already packaged).

The open question would be: how should systemd install behave when done
on system with other packages (like daemons) already installed (e.g. during
migration from SysV)? But the answer is ...irrelevant, since we don't
provide any fine-grained preset files, so after such transition admin is
free to call preset-all by himself after setting the default policy.

>>> So right now we end up with services that are not enabled with this
>>> version of systemd that were enabled with earlier version (like getty
>>> for tty1 etc).
>>
> These were enabled by default by just files existence. Now files were
> removed (with update to 242; d482e20e65e32e51e9bdfdecb0d1375d9e62c0d1)

Oh, this complicates things a bit...

As we shouldn't (IMHO) call preset-all ...ever(!), and these files
were packaged and put into running systems, they should be simply brought back now.

Otherwise we risk breaking running systems, I can't see any other simply way.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>