migrating pld /var/run to /run (and related dirs)

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Sun Feb 9 10:13:37 CET 2020

On Thu, 06 Feb 2020, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:

> Hi.
>
> We need to finally do this while still keeping sysvinit compatibility
> (using symlinks).
>
> Migrate
>
> /var/run to /run and keep /var/run -> /run symlink
> /var/lock to /run/lock and /var/lock -> /run/lock symlink
> /run/shm -> /dev/shm symlink
> (any other?)
>
> I wonder what is the best approach to do that on live servers.
>
> Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RunDirectory
>
> I guess migration needs to be in rc.sysinit. After rootfs and /var mount do:
> - create /run dirs and convert old dirs to symlinks
> - add /run* tmpfs mounting entries to /etc/fstab if not existent, so
> next time migration logic via rc.sysinit will not be needed at all.

/run should already be a dir. Looks at FHS.spec.

I see one problem with your rc.sysinit proposal, what about systemd
systems? You do need to do the convertsion, and you don't have that
file.

What about plugging all this symlinking into geninitrd / dracut?
This way we would have everything sorted before we even start booting to
the filesystem in question.

--
Jan Rękorajski                    | PLD/Linux
SysAdm | baggins<at>pld-linux.org | http://www.pld-linux.org/