[packages/systemd] - this version is broken in an interesting way, rebooted during upgrade and then became unable to

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Sat Jun 13 10:33:29 CEST 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Jan Palus wrote:

> On 12.06.2020 20:01, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> > Yes, there must be some intricate issue when updating from 244 to 245.
> > Updating 245 to 245 shows no side effects, clean restart.
> >
> > If you know of anything I should look at, or have any pointers where
> > should I dig, I'm open to suggestions.
>
> The only thing I could think of is journalctl output from the moment of upgrade
> till reboot.
>
> > BTW, did anyone else try to do the update? Folks?
>
> FWIW I have upgraded my aarch64 laptop and still no reboot. It ended my user
> session though -- a bug in systemd which is already fixed since yesterday.

Thanks. I figured out WTF happend. LOL.

Updated systemd from 244 to 245.6 again, and did not reboot or crash or whatever.

systemd on daemon-reload decided to restart a bunch of units,
_including_ plymouth stuff. And this started plymouth-start.service,
switched to a text / dmesg console with the boot splash, what looked
like a crash/failed reboot.

That's all. Alt-F2 and I'm back in X and everything works.

We're good to go with systemd upgrade.

--
Jan Rękorajski                    | PLD/Linux
SysAdm | baggins<at>pld-linux.org | http://www.pld-linux.org/