[packages/libupnp1.6] compatibility package for legacy, unmaintained apps

Jan Palus atler at pld-linux.org
Fri Oct 23 15:05:25 CEST 2020

On 23.10.2020 14:16, Jan Rękorajski via pld-devel-en wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2020, atler wrote:
>
> > commit 6e87a2d1330eca8358a494c62b4e85986b95a50b
> > Author: Jan Palus <atler at pld-linux.org>
> > Date:   Thu Aug 27 18:35:24 2020 +0200
> >
> >     compatibility package for legacy, unmaintained apps
> >
> >  libupnp.spec => libupnp1.6.spec | 32 ++++++++++++++++++--------------
> >  1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)
>
> Please try to avoid creating packages like these. Especially for just 3
> other packages. Fixing those dependant packages seems quite easy, and
> it's better than keeping outdated libs.

Respectfully disagreed. I had a quick look into porting effort back than
and it turned out it would take way more time than I'm willing to spend
on ancient packages I don't care about. Maintenance-effort-wise I'd say
either of:

  * drop ancient packages
  * keep ancient versions of dependencies

is the way to go. With patches in place we have to maintain them with
every new libupnp release.