pam 1.5

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Thu May 6 22:36:10 CEST 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> On 17.02.2021 16:40, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> >
> > https://github.com/linux-pam/linux-pam/releases/tag/v1.5.0
> >

> >   * Removed deprecated pam_cracklib module, use pam_passwdqc (from
> >     passwdqc project)
> >     or pam_pwquality (from libpwquality project) instead.
> >   * Removed deprecated pam_tally and pam_tally2 modules, use
> >     pam_faillock instead.
> >

> > what's our action?
> >
> > 1. follow the flow and remove them as well?
> >
> > 2. alternatively could copy them from 1.4.0 tarball, so at least we
> > don't lag behind because afraid to update to 1.5.x
> >

> > if someone really needs those removed modules, a separate .spec is
> > more appropriate solution to the problem.
> >

> there's also pam-pld-1.1.2-1.tar.gz included in pam.spec, there's no
> info how that file was generated.
>
> could put the two new abandoned modules there as well. altho i feel
> better to just create new tarball with tally and cracklib

I would just drop them, my memory tells me pam_tally* were barely
working at best and I don't see a problem moving from cracklib to
passwdqc. The caveat is we would have to update all appropriate configs
and add the package and all required deps.

FYI pam-pld tarball comes from http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/cvs/pam/

--
Jan Rękorajski                    | PLD/Linux
SysAdm | baggins<at>pld-linux.org | http://www.pld-linux.org/