udev-core R >= 4.15

Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Thu Dec 22 11:49:52 CET 2022

udev-core change:

-Requires:      uname(release) >= 3.13
+Requires:      uname(release) >= 4.15

Is this true requirement?

I mean docs say:

"
     README: say kernel 4.15 is the minimum recommended

     After various long discussions

(https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2022-March/047587.html,
     https://lwn.net/Articles/889610/), there is no clear answer what
the minimum
     version should be. Bumping the version above 3.15 doesn't allow us
to make any
     significant simplifications (unless we went *much* higher). In
particular, even
     renameat2() is not fully supported with latest kernel versions,
e.g. nfs still
     doesn't have it. And the bpf stuff is optional anyway. So let's
just say that
     4.15 is what we recommend, because it provides fairly complete
cgroups-v2, but
     without any removals of compat in the code."

and

"+        Kernel versions below 4.15 have significant gaps in
functionality and
+        are not recommended for use with this version of systemd. Taint
flag
+        'old-kernel' will be set. Systemd will most likely still
function, but
+        upstream support and testing are limited."

so looks like it should work on older kernels but there could be problems.

Is there really some problem with udev-core that needs forcing >= 4.15?
(I'm still using vserver 4.9 kernels)

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz, arekm / ( maven.pl | pld-linux.org )