installer

Paweł Kołodziej pawelk w pld.org.pl
Sob, 30 Gru 2000, 22:09:09 CET

Dnia Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 11:32:40AM +0100, Michal Moskal napisał(a):
> Hello,
>
> I've got a New Year's gift for you: 'Prowizorka mk ]['.  It's on level
> of about Slackware installer or higher, so OK for most of middle-advanced
> user. I would even say, that after some minor fixes, it will be possible
> to install PLD with just few Enter presses.

I am lost in admiration...

[...]
> Using shell also means that I didn't use most of CVS installer module.
> Sorry.

That's ok. "Old installer" has been using "newt" and I think it's why it
couldn't have been developed fast.

> With one exception: wuch.

:)) I think that writing new user interface to wuch could be a good thing.
Current one (written by yossa) uses newt and I just can't
develope it (personally, I think newt should be banned).
Any volunteers ? In fact since in wuch's user interface is almost completly
separated from "main code" it should be quite easy.

> In this context I have a question to PawelK: is wuch able to handle
> installation from scratch?

Yes. But for now it requires empty database in /mntpoint/var/lib/rpm (same
as prowizorka (you can see how Sebastian Zagrodzki has done it in bootdisk
(module /bootdisk in cvs repo)))

> Also you can check if it's called correctly.

It looks ok.

> What about installation profiles?

It should be rather easy. Same as prowizorka, wuch is able to use so
called "coinst.rpmy" file. In that file in every line should be name of
one package. These packages are preselected for installation (but user of
course can change selection). So now only someone has to do list of
packages for various purposes.

> There is also one very important thing about dml: it has some
> kind of NLS. It's not GNU gettext however.

Why haven't you used GNU gettext ?

> What can it do?
[...]
>  - it should be able to configure kernel modules. i'm going to fetch
>    this from prowizorka, I should commit this on Janruary 3rd.

prowizorka does nothing about kernel modules. You shloud rather look at
script 'insmod' from bootdisk module (in cvs).

> Some configuration is not written, like configured network interface,
> used language or keyboard. I'm still not sure if it's good idea to
> save this...

I think it could be useful when somebody is installing PLD on several
identical boxes

> And one more: I put it into CVS module `prowizorka2'. I'm not sure
> if it's right name though...

I think some other name could be better, since current version of
prowizorka is 4.8 ...
Maybe "Automateusz" ? (it's frined of Wuch in Lem's book "Bajki robotów")?

PS. Wouldn't pld-installer list be better for future discussion ?

--
Paweł Kołodziej
pawelk w pld.org.pl