installer : few questions

Sebastian Zagrodzki s.zagrodzki w mimuw.edu.pl
Śro, 3 Sty 2001, 11:48:53 CET

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Michal Moskal wrote:
> 1. does /boot has to be on ext2 for lilo? could it be
>    on reiser, ext3? (are we going to support it (ext3)?)
no

> 2. is order in /etc/fstab important (e.g. first /var then
>    /var/spool)?
yes

> 3. what about packages, *-pkg.tgz files? where are they going
>    to be? and when we're installing from cdrom (our iso)
>    (i think this should be the easiest case, esp. for beginners,
>    or maybe PLD should not be used by beginners, at this point?)
>    where are they? i suggest sth about this:
these packages (-pkg.tgz and -mod.tgz) are designed for PLD bootdisk
only. I haven't seen this "automateusz" yet, but if I got it right,
it's a replacement for all installation scripts from my bootdisk. If
it's true - I don't think you'll need them, 'cause they are usefull
only when working with shell, not with some kind of GUI...

>    cdrom/
>      PLD/ ??? PLD-current/ ??? PLD/$arch/ ???
       ^^^^
>         inst/
>           *-pkg.tgz
>           *-mod.tgz
>           tocfile*
>         RPMS/
>           *.rpm
that's how it looks like.

>    what about structure on ftp and mirrors, I would see same directory
>    structure on all mirrors and ftp.pld.org.pl, sth like:
[ ... cut ... ]
>    well, this is sth similar to current state.
I guess so - current directory tree was designed to work easily with
wuch/prowizorka and to make ISO images.

>    in addition to all current *-pkg.tgz i would see ext2-pkg, just
>    for completness (and maybe ext3), in my installer it's fully
>    automatic, to load pkg so there should be no problem. Or maybe
>    put both reiser and ext2 in base, so for simpliest case (cdrom)
>    there would be no pkgs needed?
I don't think so - when installing PLD from ftp site, one would have to
use one root disk and at least one or two addons-disks (net/eth
support, and fs support)

> 4. some explonatory messages needs to be written, esp. for
>    partitioning disk, cfdisk is easy to run, but beginner
>    needs to be told to make for ex. / and swap, how much space
>    he needs and so on...
PLD bootdisk wasn't made for beginners... :> And for advanced users
it'll be faster and more efficient to use bootdisk instead of
GUI-installer -- it's more flexible (? :>) .

> 5. network config should now work. are we going to support
>    ipv6 on bootdisk?
I guess we should. I've already asked kloczek to add ipv6.o to
kernel-BOOT.

--
Sebastian Zagrodzki			s.zagrodzki w mimuw.edu.pl
UIN 1770835				http://sokrates.mimuw.edu.pl/~zagrodzki

A co mnie obchodzi, co pomyślą inni...