sendmail: observiations and some ideas

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek w rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl
Pią, 5 Sty 2001, 09:32:13 CET

I'm just pass to builders new sendmail. I was slightly improves and
srinked to one package (in one is all doc and m4 macros resources). I'm
alitle look deepely look at m4 resources and seems all
%{_libdir}/sendmail-cf resources can be rolled to two files:
- m4 macros config files (.mc),
- one file with define all avalaible macros which can be used during
  generate sendmail.cf file.

After this IMHO is possible to prepare sendmail configured directly only
from sendmaila.mc file placed in /etc/mail. All macros files can be placed
after this in FHS compliant location like /usr/share/misc/sendmail.m4 and
also sendmaila.cf can be regenerated during each start/restart from init
script.

IMHO this kind form will be much more elegant and also can bring much more
beter/stonger platform for configure/reconfigure sendmail. m4 macros
language is very simple all rewrite current m4 suit also can be very
simple. Seems m4 abilities currently is used in very small range (this is
very stong macro definition language). IMHO it is possible prepare
sendmail.mc using m4 maybe in form very similar or the same to postfix
/etc/mail/mail.cf.

Anyone want help develop/prepare this ?

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek w rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl*