subversion i dokonania conectivy

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz misiek w pld.ORG.PL
Czw, 10 Kwi 2003, 20:13:48 CEST

On/Dnia Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:51:23PM +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote/napisał(a)

> Jednak trzymają wszystko w Berkeley DB łącznie ze źródłami.

I trochę więcej informacji.

----- Forwarded message from Gustavo Niemeyer <xxx> -----

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:06:04 -0300
From: Gustavo Niemeyer <xxx>
To: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <misiek w pld.ORG.PL>
Subject: Re: quesion about repository system

> If I remember correctly on subversion mailing list quite long time
> ago there was an issue with repository growing _few times_ bigger
> that summary size of imported files. After dumping and restoring
> repo everything was back to normal. Hope that's not issue any more.

I don't think this is a problem now.

> > > Doesn't that have big impact on performance?
> >
> > No. Berkeley DB is very effective, even with huge loads. There are
> > databases out there with more than 100GB.
>
> Great. Here we are still using cvs (for about ~4.5 years) to store
> specs/sources and now we are thinking about switching to subversion.

I think this is advisable.. we've been using subversion here with great
success so far. Whenever I must use CVS again for some project, I can't
belive we lived so much time without subversion.

> Could you tell me some details about hardware that's hosting subversion
> repostory?

In the early days we used it in a PIII 500MHz with 128MB of RAM. It was
good enough for the job. OTOH, this machine had some kind of curse. We
had several memory, disk, and other hardware problems in a short period.
This was an interesting experience, since we understood that subversion
was doing a great job surviving in all these failures. But we didn't
want to take more risks, so we moved on to an 8 way Compaq server with
700MHz processors and 4GB of memory (the server is not alone in this
machine). Of course, this is not a requirement to use such a system.

Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz    CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm w sse.pl   AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PLD/Linux