db3 w Ac

Radoslaw Zielinski radek w karnet.pl
Sob, 26 Kwi 2003, 12:37:27 CEST

Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek w rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl> [26-04-2003 11:02]:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Marcin Bohosiewicz wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Grzegorz Goławski wrote:
>>> Czy w Ac będzie db3?
>>> Pytanie to kieruję ponieważ evolution wymaga konkretnej wersji db
>>> (db3-3.1.17). I teraz gdyby db3 miało nie być w Ac trzeba będzie do
>>> speca evolution wrzucić źródła db3 i linkować statycznie.
>> I zaraz ktos powie ze nie i zeby przystosowac evolution do db4.
> Należy przystosować evolution do db4.

/usr/share/doc/evolution2-1.3.2.99/README.gz:

  COMPILING BERKELEY DB
  ---------------------

      --- IMPORTANT WARNING ---

      The on-disk format of DB files has been changing between versions 2, 3
      and 4.  Also, because of the libdb API, there is no way to easily
      handle the different formats from within the application.  For this
      reason, Evolution has chosen to use one specific version of the
      library (version 3) and stick to it, so that users do not need to
      convert their addressbook files to use them with different version of
      Evolution.

      That's why Evolution REQUIRES libdb 3.1.17, and NO OTHER VERSION.

      If you force the check to accept a version different from 3.1.17, your
      binary of Evolution will be using a different format from the chosen
      one; this means that it will not be able to read addressbook databases
      created by other versions of Evolution which were compiled in the
      standard way.  Also, we DO NOT GUARRANTEE that Evolution will work
      with different versions of libdb at all, even if it can be trivially
      made to compile against them.

      SPECIAL NOTE FOR BINARY PACKAGERS:

      If you are making binary packages for end-users (e.g. if you are a
      distribution vendor), please statically link Evolution to Berkeley
      DB 3.1.17, as mandated by the configure.in check.  DO NOT patch
      configure.in to work around the check.  Forcing the check to link
      to a different version of the library will only give headaches and
      pain to your users, who will see their addressbook disappear and
      will complain to us (the Evolution team) about losing their data.

      Besides, libdb will be linked statically, which means that your
      distribution doesn't actually need to ship DB 3.1.17 itself
      separately.

      The Evolution team will be infinitely grateful for your
      co-operation.  Thanks!

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek w karnet.pl>
[ GPG key: http://radek.karnet.pl/ ]