Fwd: Re: [iproute2] tc_util.c / bit rate fixes...

Paweł Sikora pluto w ds14.agh.edu.pl
Pią, 28 Maj 2004, 23:58:35 CEST

hmm, jakby to powiedziec. dalej tkwimy w gownie,
bo ludzie juz sie przyzwyczaili do jego smrodu.

Subject: Re: [iproute2] tc_util.c / bit rate fixes...
Date: Friday 28 of May 2004 23:01
From: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger w osdl.org>
To: Pawe__ Sikora <pluto w pld-linux.org>

About the patch to change tc command handling of bit rate definitions
from 1024 to 1000.  It appears that debate continues on this;
my suspicion it is a left over from that computer science (bits/bytes) view
of the world versus the telephony communications side.

I thought about this and rejected it because it would change
expected behaviour of people that already have scripts using the
tc command.  It would not be right to break the compatibility at this
late stage in a mature interface.

It would make sense to document the current behaviour better.

a tym, ktorym jednak smrod przeszkadza polecam
przebudowe paczki z bcondem iec_complaint.

--
If you think of MS-DOS as mono, and Windows as stereo,
  then Linux is Dolby Digital and all the music is free...