Fileshareset in kdelibs 3.3.1 has suid.

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz ankry w green.mif.pg.gda.pl
Pią, 15 Paź 2004, 18:26:49 CEST

Piotr Szymanski wrote:

> Hi,
> Z kdelibs:
>  *************************************************************
>  *                                                           *
>  * NOTE:                                                     *
>  * If You want the directories sharing from the context menu *
>  * functionality, do as following:                           *
>  * 1) Install sperl package,                                 *
>  * 2) Set SUID root bit for fileshareset script.             *
>  *                                                           *
>  * WARNING:                                                  *
>  * 1) That allows users to write to /etc/samba/smb.conf,     *
>  * 2) After all - using sperl is not safe.                   *
>  *                                                           *
>  *************************************************************
> I have chosen to set the suid root for fileshareset (and remove stupid banner)
> anyone against?

I hate banners.
And manual permission changes of binaries (let's say: any files) is in
contradiction with our policy.

> A better idea would be to perhaps create a group that has writable access
> to /etc/samba/smb.conf and among others to samba resources. Depends on your
> choice.

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz               ankry w mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Gdansk University of Technology