[Fwd: Re: Pine redistribution question]

Marcin Król krol w wsb-nlu.edu.pl
Sob, 4 Wrz 2004, 00:12:46 CEST

Jest odpowiedz odnosnie Pine. Czesc patchy przeszla, czesc nie, czesc
moze przejsc jezeli tak bedziemy chcieli. Szczegoly w cytowanej ponizej
tresci maila. Jak sie wyspie to odpisze, ze chcemy ta licencje.

M.

---

Marcin,

Thank you for your continued patience during this process.  Due to our
Pine trademark requirements, which include quality control, we have to
look at all modifications proposed for redistribution.  We realize that
this took longer than we originally expected and we apologize for the
delay.

We categorized the patches you sent us into those that we approve, those
that appear unnecessary for you to include because the capability already
exists or was overtaken by events, and those that are problematic for us
and therefore we do not approve for redistribution. Here is that
breakdown:

Approve:
         pine-config.patch -
         changes paths to distribution specific ones, enables USE_QUOTAS,
         sets NUMDEBUGFILES to 0

         pine-makefile.patch -
         small adjustments in makefile

         pine-unix.patch -
         another small makefile adjustment

         pine-quote.patch -
         security fipine-fhs.patch
         yet another makefile adjustment

         pine-segfix.patch -
         possible segmentation fault fix from rawhide.  We would like to
         know more about this.  If it really is a bug we would like to fix
         it.

         pine-libc-client.patch -
         libc-client security patch taken from Debian.  We would like to
         know more about this.  If it really is a bug we would like to
fix it.
         ** If this is the change in rfc822.c to add a test for !i in a \015
         case, this is already fixed with a different patch (in the \012
         case which is dropped in from the \015 case).

         pine-ssl.patch -
         fixes path to openssl header filesx

         pine-non_english_man_path_fix.patch -
         changes paths in non-english doc to distribution specific ones

         pine-L_on_version.patch -
         adds L to Pine version number

         pine-home_etc.patch
         adds support for home-etc idea of keeping configuration files in a
         subdirectory specified by user, instead of his home directory

Unnecessary:
	pine-fixhome -
         The home and end keys that this patch adds are already in there.

	pine-doc -
         All of the path changes here are unnecessary, as those
         get changed at build-time, except for the change of
         /usr/spool to /var.  We change it to the standard /var/spool.

  	pine-pwd -
         This can be done as an option to the build command, by
         setting it in EXTRACFLAGS.

  	pine-terminfo -
         This changes os-lyn.h, however the file that would be used
         in a linux build is os-lnx.h.  It's safe to leave this patch out
         regardless, because we believe nothing is done with this
         particular setting anymore.

         pine-overflow  -
         long ago overtaken by events.

Problematic:
	pine-no_1777 -
         Patch to quell the mailbox permissions warning.
         We believe this is a bad idea as it causes unsafe Pine operation.
         Even on systems where it is "alright" (e.g. because system-call
         locking on the file is used by mail delivery), it still loses over
         NFS.  Our suggestion would be to add the setgid mlock
	for locking mailboxes the "proper" way.

         pine-css.patch -
         fix based on http://hico.fphil.uniba.sk/pine-patches.html,
         idea to allow save when maildir folders are in use.  Since
         Pine does not support maildir and we don't approve adding
         maildir support for Pine redistribution, we will not approve
         this patch.

	all.patch -
         All of Eduardo's patches, one of which adds maildir support.
         Eduardo's patches have not been thoroughly audited or considered
         by us, since there are so many of them.  However, there is a link
         to his patches on our web site.

  	pine-filter -
         Change default c-client file permissions.  We believe this is
         the one that changes the protection of #shared from 660 to 600
         and #public from 666 to 600.  If so, the patch is pointless.
         The entire purpose of creating a #shared namespace is to have
         a group-accessible shared directory; and the entire purpose of
         having #public is to have a world-accessible shared directory.
         If this not desired, then those directories should not be created
         in the first place.

  	pine-iconv -
         The iconv patch is a patch to add UTF8 support to pine.  This has
         not yet been thoroughly audited or considered by us.  We will
         probably do something like this, but probably in a different way,
         as this patch is only a half solution, and uses a method we
         couldn't use because of portability issues.

         pine-smime -
         This is something that we do include in our contrib directory, but
         it's something we've not yet embraced because we can't do it on
         all platforms.

Could you provide more details about the pine-libc-client.patch and
pine-segfix.patch patches?  If these are bugs, we will make sure they are
addressed.

Unfortunately, we are unable to accept several of your proposed
modifications, specifically those listed as "problematic."  Our trademark
and contract obligations require us to maintain quality assurance for
software distributed under the Pine trademark, and that drives what we can
and cannot approve.  However, we continue to investigate distribution
options that would protect the UW's intellectual property and trademark
while giving the Pine community more flexibility.

We are happy to issue a license to you for the approved changes.  We are
also prepared to approve the patches we view as unnecessary if you believe
otherwise.  Are you still interested in pursuing a licensing arrangement?
Just let us know!

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,
Hugh Sheets