Ac stable on our doorstep?

Marcin Król hawk w limanowa.net
Nie, 17 Wrz 2006, 00:23:28 CEST

I wrote many times that I'll do my best to release Ac stable before
October 2006. Since its two weeks from now its time to decide if I'll do
it or not. Because of that I'm asking all developers: do you think that
current Ac main is ready to be released as stable? If not, why?

If I'll decide to release Ac now following things will happen:
- kernel will be built from LINUX_2_6_16 branch
- current Ac ready will be included too
- Ac main will be permanently frozen on September 24th
- ISOs will be ctreated using current bootdisks

Few words about bootdisks/installer...
There are still some bugs, most of them unconfirmed. I currently don't
have time to validate/fix them. However I've not encountered any serious
problems disallowing to install PLD since RC2 bootdisks (and I was
installing it on at least 20 different machines in that time).

Ac security team...
In worst case scenario Ac will be released before December. Its not that
far from now. After that we will need to maintain updates. As I can see
from CVS commit logs, not many developers care about security/general
updates in Ac. I simply can't take care of that by myself. Therefore I'm
asking: are there any volunteers for keeping Ac secure and up to date?
If not, perhaps we should reconsider "always in developement" way of
maintaining PLD?

"stable == dead"?
Everybody knows how Ra ended. We could say it was out of date the day it
was released. I don't want Ac to end this way too. Thats why I'm open
for all, even some major upgrades after releasing stable version.

And small miscellaneous info:
- please do not respond on pld-devel-pl or pld-devel-en, use pld-discuss
to keep messages in one thread
- yes, I was to lazy to wrote this message in polish too, althought
polish replies are welcome if you can't/don't want to write in english

M.