Kernel modules packages rework

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Fri Nov 1 11:19:34 CET 2013

Hi,
In the last few days I have reworked how packages containing kernel
modules are built on our infrastructure. The reson for this was to avoid
having to rebuild entire package (userland+kernel part) everytime there
was a new kernel on ftp.

Modus operandi is now this:
1) kernel and userland MUST be built in separate requests
2) userland package (rpm+srpm) looks like before (name-VER-REL)
3) kernel package has '-kernel' suffix appended to SRPM name and
   @kernel-ver appended to SRPM release
3a) it is possible to build kernel packages for multiple kernels at the
    same time

The '-kernel' and @VER appends in kernel packages makes SRPMS containing
kernel part non-conflicting for our ftp automation with userland and
lifts the requirement to bump release on every kernel upgrade.
It allows us to keep the same userland package and only rebuild kernel
modules from package auto- tag when needed.

Quick howto:

- building userland:

make-request -r --without kernel package.spec

- building kernel modules

a) for main and longterm kernels at the same time (use this one if not sure!):

make-request -r -a --without userland --define 'build_kernels longterm' package.spec

b) only for main kernel

make-request -r -a --without userland package.spec

c) only for longterm kernel

make-request -r -a --without userland --kernel longterm package.spec

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/