kernel build system rewrite

Jan Rekorajski baggins w sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Nie, 28 Maj 2006, 19:32:33 CEST

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> hi
>
> i have proprietary binary kernel driver, which means i can't use PLD kernel.
> so i have an idea to rewrite kernel.spec that preparing source tree is outside
> specfile, or at least minimal. this way i can have similiar packaging
> (-drm, -sound-alsa, -module-build...) and %post scripts (generating initrd,
> registering bootloader) while having different sourcetree.
>
> it should make projects like kernel-desktop.spec also easier to maintain.
>
> so the sourcetree would be assembled from sources/patches from svn and tarball
> exported to distfiles, which kernel.spec just unpacks.

And who's gonna maintain it? Not me, probably not pluto nor cieciwa.
Sorry, no bonus here. It will be RPITA, trust me on this.
We'll end up with either a unmaintained old crap or a total mess.

And besides, SUSE is The Worst Example here. I peek inside SUSE src.rpms
from time to time and they _alway_ were and are the worst, messy, bloated
crap[1].

[1] My vocabulary is just not enough to express what I think of them

Janek
--
Jan Rękorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?