Petition for support of colon as a username field separator

Mariano Absatz baby at baby.com.ar
Wed Jul 11 20:46:49 CEST 2001

Hi,

I don't know about SolidPOP3d development team but... you can DIY quite
easily:

There are two places in main.c where you see the following code:

#ifdef NONIPVIRTUALS
        tmpvname = strchr(username, '%');
        if (tmpvname == NULL)
                tmpvname = strchr(username, '@');
        if (tmpvname != NULL)
                *tmpvname = 0;
#endif

You can change this for:

#ifdef NONIPVIRTUALS
    tmpvname = strchr(username, ':');
    if (tmpvname == NULL)
        tmpvname = strchr(username, '%');
        if (tmpvname == NULL)
            tmpvname = strchr(username, '@');
    if (tmpvname != NULL)
        *tmpvname = 0;
#endif

It's clear that the config file option is the "clean" way to do it, but it
will require more thorough study to do...

In the meantime, you can make it work just like this, I guess.

El 11 Jul 2001, a las 13:13, Jonathan Wilson escribió:

> Hello,
>
> As I said in one of my previous posts, I'm trying to switch from Gnu-pop3d to
> SolidPOP. It's very important that I not have mess with the existing mail
> system if at all possible. Everything's been going fine until just now what I
> hit a bad snag: because of the problem with netscape not accepting "@"  in
> usernames, we already have all of our clients using ":". I just found out that
> solid pop doesn't accept : as a field separator.
>
> Please, is there anyway that you could add support for ":" to be using in
> place of "@" (for example my username would be jw:mail2.servicemail123.com
> instead of jw%servicemail123.com or jw at servicemail123.com)?
>
> We really cannot ask all our clients to change their usernames, they would not
> understand what was happening, and would probably not be happy about it.
>
> I'd be willing to make the change myself, but I'm not a C programmer. I
> already had one look at the source code, grepping for @ and %, but I didn't
> see anything I could do.
>
> Is there a list of acceptable characters somewhere? If some one could simply
> tell me what file to look in I'd be happy to give it a shot.
>
> Perhaps this could even be added as some sort of option in the Global section
> of the config file?
>
> <Global>
>         VirtUserChars   "@#%:"
> </Global>
>
> A quick reply, even if all you can say is "yes, we can do this" or "no, we
> can't" would be /really/ appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

> Jonathan Wilson
> System Administrator