Exim pop-before-smtp

michael.bartlett at workshare.com michael.bartlett at workshare.com
Mon Jan 7 12:47:11 CET 2002

Hi there Wash!

With regards to your comment on the relaying. Somebody needs to do a
successful POP in order to relay - and then that list gets cleared up every
30 minutes. So the "whole internet" can't actually relay in these
circumstances.

With regards to your query about starting the server. I assume that you are
tring to start it from the command line path/to/spop3d right? Solid binds to
inetd unless you compile it with a special configure option. The way I start
it is by having this line in my /etc/inetd.conf:

pop3    stream  tcp     nowait.100      root    /usr/libexec/spop3d -d -n
/var/mailbox/%s/ -t maildir   spop3d

Please note that you will probably want to change the /var/mailbox/ to
/var/mail and possibly the path to your binary! Then you need to kill -1
inetd.

Good luck!
Michael