[OT] Non-GCC compilers used for linux userspace

Kyle Moffett mrmacman_g4 at mac.com
Tue Mar 28 19:41:12 CEST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 12:28:47, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>>> PGI and PathScale are around.  Lahey, too, although they seem to
>>> just do Fortran now.
>>>
>>> I doubt you'd want to worry about compiling the entire userland
>>> with these compilers, however.
>>
>> Mainly I want to know if I should even bother making the kabi
>> headers compile with anything other than GCC.  Judging from the
>> apparently negligible number of users, it doesn't sound like
>> something I should spend much or any time on, at least for now.
>
> I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion.  People have already
> named several non-GCC compilers that are used; and most of the
> users of commercial compilers won't be reading this list.
>
> If you want glibc to ever include these things, they had better be
> portable C and work without GCC.  Otherwise it's a non-starter.
> Only GCC may be used to build glibc, but it deliberately supports
> any conforming C compiler to build userspace code.

Ok, my email was a bit premature (I've gotten a couple other private
emails about other compilers too) and if people see this as an issue
then I'll try to make all the code C89-compliant from the start.  I
just didn't want to go writing a whole bunch of compatibility macros
only to find out that they never got used.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett