[OT] Non-GCC compilers used for linux userspace

Daniel Jacobowitz dan at debian.org
Tue Mar 28 19:28:47 CEST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:13:15PM -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> >>So does anybody compile userspace under anything other than GCC or
> >>Intel compilers?  Do any such compilers even exist?
> >
> >PGI and PathScale are around.  Lahey, too, although they seem to
> >just do Fortran now.
> >
> >I doubt you'd want to worry about compiling the entire userland
> >with these compilers, however.
>
> Mainly I want to know if I should even bother making the kabi headers
> compile with anything other than GCC.  Judging from the apparently
> negligible number of users, it doesn't sound like something I should
> spend much or any time on, at least for now.

I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion.  People have already named
several non-GCC compilers that are used; and most of the users of
commercial compilers won't be reading this list.

If you want glibc to ever include these things, they had better be
portable C and work without GCC.  Otherwise it's a non-starter.
Only GCC may be used to build glibc, but it deliberately supports any
conforming C compiler to build userspace code.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery