SOURCES (AC-branch): bashrc - removed stty erase setting to `tput ...

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Sun Jul 3 11:59:28 CEST 2005

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005, Tomasz Pala wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 23:10:27 +0200, Jan Rekorajski wrote:
>
> > My proposal is for us to stop being so uber-smart and just revert to
> > defaults. Kill all those s/xterm/xterm-color/ and s/xterm/we-know-better/
> > patches and just stick to TERM=xterm like the rest of the world.
>
> I agree, we shall do it the _common_ way.
>
> However Debian/RH/FC has ^H for xterm-color, so following above rule you
> should revert ncurses-xterm-color-new.patch, don't you? ;)

That's right, especially when no sane program is using it in linux-world.

> > And we should also go with debian-guildines here (like eg. FC) and set
> > kbs=\177, then we will have consistent envinronment on console and in X.
>
> The question is: are we going to fulfill this policy wider than it's
> creator? If yes - ncurses-xterm-color-new.patch stays. But I prefer
> to keep in sync with our big brothers.

Me too, I overdiid it and seen that later.

> > > One more thing - what stty erase sets xterm after your changes? You
> > > should have added "*ttyModes: erase ^?".
> >
> > Maybe I should add "*backarrowKey: false".
>
> No, it's false by default.

man xterm:
       backarrowKey (class BackarrowKey)
               Specifies  whether  the backarrow key transmits a backspace (8) or
               delete (127) character.  This corresponds to  the  DECBKM control
               sequence.  The default (backspace) is ``true.''  Pressing the con-
               trol key toggles this behavior.

> There must be line I gave, because IN FACT
> we're changing xterm's default and it must be noticed about it.

You're right here, the change must be complete.

Janek
--
Jan Rękorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?