What's the matter with the current chromium-browser?

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Fri Jun 7 08:44:27 CEST 2013

Dnia piątek, 7 czerwca 2013 00:56:00 Elan Ruusamäe pisze:
> On 06.06.2013 17:31, Łukasz Maśko wrote:
> > I cannot run the last 2 versions (27.0.1453.{93,110}-1). Both behave in
> > the
> > same way - one of the subprocesses dies somewhere in the meantime, while
> > others do not notice it and wait forever for response (msgrecv(), in
> > strace). Furthermore, in dmesg I can find general protection errors:
> >
> > [  199.000423] traps: chromium-browse[1989] general protection ip:b11b90d3
> > sp:bfef3dd0 error:0 in libc-2.17.so[b118a000+1a5000]
> >
> > Removing chromium configuration gives nothing. In fact, chromium is not
> > getting to the point, where it reads/creates its configuration.
>
> i noticed too, that on some older amd64 machine with nvidia-legacy3
> video driver i can not run any 27.x series.

In my case, it was on i686 with nvidia driver (latest). But I've experienced
the same behavior with 27.0.1453.93-1 on my laptop with intel graphics.

> for me it looked that it just stopped, even the usual dbus error about
> org.chromium.Mtpd did not appear.
> i don't recall it crashing there, but i did not check either.

It did not crash ina "visible" way. Only processes stopped working becouse
they were waiting for messages from another (sandbox), which has died - ps
reported chromium-sandbox <defunct>, strace shown that one of the forked
processes was trying to receive a message using msgrecv.

OK. So I'm staying with 24.* and waiting for the better version :-)
--
Łukasz Maśko                                                            _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\