PLD New Rescue

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Mon Nov 18 23:09:20 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 09:56:40AM +0100, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> That is why I wanted to build something better. First I tried to hack
> and customize the original RCD, but with lack of documentation or
> 'source code' it was a mess. I managed to boot it from EFI but the
> solution was ugly and the image was twice as big as the original.

I haven't really succeeded in making ALT ISO images bootable from
both CD/DVD and USB Flash without duplicating kernel and initrd
for alternative EFI boot image (pretending to be a fake partition
after hybridization) so far, did you consider loading ISO9660 EFI
driver to reuse main image contents?  At least paths will get way
more complicated it seems.

> The project home is here: https://github.com/Jajcus/pld-new-rescue

Cloned, thanks.

> The first release, here:
> 	https://github.com/Jajcus/pld-new-rescue/releases/tag/th2012-0.1

Downloaded; boots fine in kvm but oopses on ASUS UX31A (i7-3517
known to work under opensuse-based 3.0 and 3.4 built by my kernel
hacker colleague), both UEFI and CSM cases.  UEFI photo is here:
http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/img/misc/PNR-UX31A.jpg

> Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Maybe you'll find some packages I've added to ALT Linux Rescue useful:
http://git.altlinux.org/people/mike/packages/?p=mkimage-profiles.git;a=tree;f=pkg.in/lists/tagged;hb=HEAD
(*rescue* pkglists)

Glad to see a great subproject revitalize! ;-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info