/etc/skel to filesystem

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Jun 12 20:19:47 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-12 20:04, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>
>> $ rpm -qf /etc/skel/
>> pwdutils-3.2.19-2.x86_64
>>
>> suggestion: move dir to filesystem package
>>
>> rationale: packages providing $HOME skeletons shouldn't depend on
>> useradd tools
>
> Well, $HOME skeletons _are_ provided for the useradd tools, so it sounds
> strange to me that you don't want this dependency.

But providing files for the skeleton doesn't mean that using it (through
useradd) is in any way required.

>> background: stupid reason (initation for the change): bash Requires
>> pwdutils for /etc/skel, but pwdutils is pointless dep in chroot intended
>> to build packages
>
> I'm against droping sensible deps for corner cases.

I don't think that was a sensible dep. Bash doesn't need useradd or
anything else. You may set up a working linux system with bash and no
user accounts.

It is, rather, the pwdutils which require bash files in /etc/skel to
initialize user accound in a reasonable way, when shell of the user is
set to /bin/bash. Still it is not such a hard dependency which should go
to package meta-data.

Greets,
	Jacek