[packages/oracle-java8] - almost raw

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed Jun 11 16:09:33 CEST 2014

On 06/11/14 13:27, arekm wrote:
> commit d3d5a6557a9d1b0c4a6d7be311eaea39c5f7f856
> Author: Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz <arekm at maven.pl>
> Date:   Wed Jun 11 13:27:02 2014 +0200
>

> +License:	restricted, distributable
> +# http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/license/index.html
> +# See "LICENSE TO DISTRIBUTE SOFTWARE" section, which states you can
> +# redistribute in unmodified form.

 (i) you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only
bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs,
 (ii) the Programs add significant and primary functionality to the
Software,
 (iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any
component(s) of the Software,

By distributing this within our distribution we break (i) and (iii).

(i) – it is not for only running 'our programs'. We want to provide JDK
for people who need it for whatever purpose.

(iii) – we distribute IcedTea and may distribute other Oracle Java
replacements.

That is mostly the same crappy license as the old Sun license for Java.
There was a period of time Sun had extra license for system
distributions, but Oracle dropped that. IMHO the situation is clear: we
cannot distribute Oracle Java.

Greets,
   Jacek