[ANN] PHP changes in Th

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Thu Jun 12 20:27:37 CEST 2014

Hi,
After a lot of time and work from Elan Ruusamäe, we have new PHP
package sets in Th.  We decided it will be the best for maintainability
and upgradability to have PHP interpreters only as versioned packages.
Right now in th and th-ready we have PHP 5.2 to 5.5 as phpXY-* sets.
php53 contains appropriate triggers for uprade from old php-5.3-*.

Rationale for the change is that PHP upgrades are often problematic,
as software requires certain versions, and because of that we'd still
had to create versioned packages, creating needless work for admins
to bump back and forth from unversioned to versioned packages.
Making the switch now avoids that work and leaves the decision
what PHP flavour to choose solely to the user.

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/