xfree86-4.4

Paweł Sikora pluto w ds14.agh.edu.pl
Wto, 2 Mar 2004, 20:37:48 CET

On Tuesday 02 of March 2004 20:29, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:21:37PM +0100, Jakub Bogusz wrote:

> > > Przed chwilą przeczytałem na dri-devel, że licencja bibliotek XFree
> > > pozostaje po staremu więc jeśli to jest prawdą to nie ma się czym
> > > przejmować bo właściwie tylko biblioteki X są dla nas istotne w kwestii
> > > licencji.
> >
> > Niedawno na xfree86.org pojawiło się FAQ z takim wyjaśnieniem (dzisiaj
> > zobaczyłem, "last updated" było z końca lutego).
> >
> > Jeszcze trzeba sprawdzić, czy licencja dotyczy wyłącznie stricte
> > klienckich bibliotek (do X-protokołu), czy całości xc/lib.
> > Bo np. libXfont parę programów używa, a ta biblioteka służy do
> > "komunikacji" z lokalnymi plikami, a nie X-serwerem.
> >
> > Jeśli tu też nie będzie problemu, to chyba można 4.4.0 dać na HEAD.
>
> A... i jeszcze co z synaptics?
> Tam jest moduł dynamicznie ładowany (czyli linkujący się z kodem) dla
> X-serwera - na GPL...

ja znalazlem jeszcze taka ciekawostke...

"The most interesting case I've seen of thwarting the compatibility deals
 with distributing components which use a 'middle man' to achieve
 the license bridge.

 Suppose you have Component G, which is GPL, and Component X,
 which is under the retarded XFree86 License.
 You want the two to interoperate somehow.

 Create an interface written from scratch to form a common bridge between
 components G and X, derived neither from G nor X.
 We'll call this one Component B, and license it under the BSD license.

 Create an implementation of the B interface for component G,
 and call this Component GB. Release this under the GPL,
 which is acceptable because B is licensed under the BSD license,
 which is compatible with the GPL.

 Create another implementation of the B interface, this time for component X,
 and call this one Component XB. Release this under the XFree86 license.
 This should be a lot simpler to prove legal because the XFree86 license
 has less restrictions overall than the GPL.

 So now you have three components which form a bridge:
 G <-> GB <-> B <-> XB <-> X "

--
If you think of MS-DOS as mono, and Windows as stereo,
  then Linux is Dolby Digital and all the music is free...