new user, and some questions/comments

John P. Looney john at antefacto.com
Wed Apr 3 13:30:41 CEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:28:33PM +0000, Micha³ Margula mentioned:
> - shutdown (between sending TERM and KILL signals and before unmounting
> filesystems) so it has nothing to do with booting up
> - there is one sleep 1 when it asks for a key to enter interactive mode
> - sleep 5 before initialisation of usb devices
> - sleep 1 in booting process of mysql
>
> So in worst case you loose 6 seconds. Is it too much? ;-)

 It's probably that I have lots of services running then!

 I always wanted to work on a boot process that used "make" instead of
/etc/rc.d - so that some parts could run in parallel, with make resolving
dependancies...it's about the only way a workstation with snmpd, apache
etc. could boot quickly...

John