Keeping multiple kernels

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Sun Nov 6 13:40:30 CET 2005

Andrzej 'The Undefined' Dopierała <undefine <at> aramin.net> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 12:59:25AM +0000, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> > When using yum, I can use the "installonlypkgs" configuration variable
> > to tell it not to update kernels, but rather, just to install them.  This
> > allows me to keep more than one existing kernel.
> >
> > How do I tell poldek to do the same thing during "install -F *"?  I only
> > want this to occur for packages named "kernel*"; for the rest of them, I
> > want updates to occur normally.
> just-install kernel-version
>
> ;)
> it only install new kernel, without touching olders versions.

Thank you.  But how do I know whether there is a new kernel version, and
how do I find out what the version number of that new kernel is?

Also, should I used "hold = kernel*" in poldek.conf?

Using yum, the "installonlypkgs" variable takes care of all this for me.
With that variable set to "kernel*", I just do a "yum update" (which I
think corresponds to "poldek --upgrade-dist"), and it will automatically
see the new kernels, present them to me with any other packages that
need to be updated, and then install them like all the other packages ...
except that the old kernels don't get removed due to the "installonlypkgs"
variable.

In other words, what is the correct procedure in poldek to ... ?

1. Find out whether there are new kernel(s) in any of the repositories.

2. Determine the version number(s) of these new kernel(s).

3. Install the new kernel(s) [ actually, I already know how to do this
   once steps 1 and 2 are finished ... I'm just asking here for
   completeness ].

Thanks again, in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman