Keeping multiple kernels

Pawel A. Gajda mis at k2.net.pl
Sun Nov 6 15:31:37 CET 2005

Sunday 06/11/2005 12:40:30, Lloyd Zusman:
> Andrzej 'The Undefined' Dopierała <undefine <at> aramin.net> writes:
> > it only install new kernel, without touching olders versions.
>
> Thank you.  But how do I know whether there is a new kernel version, and
> how do I find out what the version number of that new kernel is?
>
> Also, should I used "hold = kernel*" in poldek.conf?
>
> Using yum, the "installonlypkgs" variable takes care of all this for me.
> With that variable set to "kernel*", I just do a "yum update" (which I
> think corresponds to "poldek --upgrade-dist"), and it will automatically
> see the new kernels, present them to me with any other packages that
> need to be updated, and then install them like all the other packages ...
> except that the old kernels don't get removed due to the "installonlypkgs"
> variable.

I see. There is no such automation in poldek (yet maybe), hold= prevents
packages to be upgraded only, held packages are just skipped during
--upgrade-dist.

So

> 1. Find out whether there are new kernel(s) in any of the repositories.
>
> 2. Determine the version number(s) of these new kernel(s).

Newer than installed packages are displayed by "llu" and "llU"
interactive commands (aliases for "ls" in fact, see "ls --help".
Interactive commands may be accessed in 3 ways:

poldek> llu kernel*

or

$ poldek --cmd llu kernel\*

or

$ ipoldek llu kernel\*

> 3. Install the new kernel(s) [ actually, I already know how to do this
>    once steps 1 and 2 are finished ... I'm just asking here for
>    completeness ].

Command line -i switch:

$ poldek -i kernel

or by interactive mode command "install" with -I and -N switches.
"just-install" mentioned above is an alias for "install -IN",
see "install --help".