PLD on CD-ROM?

Marcin Leszek Mierzejewski kevin at lamer.pl
Thu Feb 15 12:35:09 CET 2001

----- Forwarded message from Primoz Peterlin <peterlin at biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si> -----

From: Primoz Peterlin <peterlin at biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si>
To: kevin at pld.org.pl
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:28:41 +0100 (MET)
Subject: PLD on CD-ROM?

Cześć,

The "PLD on CD-ROM" section on your Web server <http://www.pld.org.pl/> is
currently saying "Under construction." Before I start transferring
gigabytes using ftp, I would nevertheless like to ask if PLD is available
on CD-ROM, and how can I buy it.

The reason why I would like to try PLD is that I am more and more
inclining to the opinion that we are in a no-win situation with major
distributions like Red Hat, Turbo Linux etc. In the Slovenian Linux
community we have a fairly strong localization group here (fairly strong
for a nation of 2 millions, that is :) and the guys have now been working
hard to meet the deadlines for KDE releases, for instance. Then the next
release of, say, Red Hat comes out and it turns out that they have
included some translations that are months old. Pretty disastrous, as it
doesn't really give the guys who were working on it the satisfaction they
would deserve.

As a companion to a book on Linux
<http://www.pasadena.si/knjigarna/knjiga.asp?id=9742> we have actually
even put together our own distribution, i.e. we patched Red Hat 6.2 until
our part of localization looked somewhat decent, and dubbed the thing
Pingo Linux. In the long run, however, I don't think we have the needed
human resources to maintain the effort. As I understand there were similar
motives that made you start PLD, I am wondering if we can perhaps join
your efforts.

With kind regards,
Primoż

--
Primož Peterlin,   Inštitut za biofiziko, Med. fakulteta, Univerza v Ljubljani
Lipičeva 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija.  primoz.peterlin at biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si
Tel: +386-1-5437632, fax: +386-1-4315127, http://sizif.mf.uni-lj.si/~peterlin/

----- End forwarded message -----

--