PLD on CD-ROM?

Michal Moskal malekith at pld.org.pl
Thu Feb 15 14:23:44 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 12:35:09PM +0100, Primoz Peterlin wrote:
> Cześć,
>
> The "PLD on CD-ROM" section on your Web server <http://www.pld.org.pl/> is
> currently saying "Under construction." Before I start transferring
> gigabytes using ftp, I would nevertheless like to ask if PLD is available
> on CD-ROM, and how can I buy it.

I'm afraid you cannot actually *buy* PLD :< However it can change
in next month or two, there should be some cd-rom's available.

> The reason why I would like to try PLD is that I am more and more
> inclining to the opinion that we are in a no-win situation with major
> distributions like Red Hat, Turbo Linux etc. In the Slovenian Linux
> community we have a fairly strong localization group here (fairly strong
> for a nation of 2 millions, that is :) and the guys have now been working
> hard to meet the deadlines for KDE releases, for instance. Then the next
> release of, say, Red Hat comes out and it turns out that they have
> included some translations that are months old. Pretty disastrous, as it
> doesn't really give the guys who were working on it the satisfaction they
> would deserve.
>
> As a companion to a book on Linux
> <http://www.pasadena.si/knjigarna/knjiga.asp?id=9742> we have actually
> even put together our own distribution, i.e. we patched Red Hat 6.2 until
> our part of localization looked somewhat decent, and dubbed the thing
> Pingo Linux. In the long run, however, I don't think we have the needed
> human resources to maintain the effort. As I understand there were similar
> motives that made you start PLD, I am wondering if we can perhaps join
> your efforts.

The main reason for creating PLD was not localization, AFAIK.
However, it's important issue for us. And also PLD is much more
open, so if you commit a fix into our CVS you don't need to
wait months for it to appear on FTP.

The main PLD goals is security, IPv6 and localization, it's
targeted mainly at > middle advanced users.

We would apprciate if you (or anybody else, to be exact ;)
if you join us :)

Regards

--
                        Michał Moskal <malekith at pld.org.pl>

The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There.
	-- Sent in by Craig S. Bell, goat at aracnet.com

Qaddafi bomb KGB Mossad nuclear South Africa Serbian Nazi
genetic North Korea Waco, Texas domestic disruption
Ft. Bragg terrorist domestic disruption Soviet  Serbian
Noriega Ortega FBI