PLD Linux and Open Invention Network

Shane Coughlan SCoughlan at OpenInventionNetwork.com
Tue Sep 14 08:50:47 CEST 2010

My name is Shane Coughlan and I am Regional Director Asia of Open Invention Network.   OIN was founded by Red Hat, IBM, Sony, NEC, Philips and Novell to support the Linux System and every organization that builds or uses Linux-related technology.  We deal with current market threats while also investing in the long-term future of open innovation.

I would like us to work together.  We need your help to counter patent aggression around the Linux System and in exchange we can support you around innovation and patent issues.  Let me explain.

OIN organizes its work through a community of Linux patent non-aggression.  This community provides a patent-aggression "no fly zone" while also helping OIN deter aggressive third parties, whether they are companies or trolls.  Anyone can join this community by pledging Linux patent non-aggression towards other community members.  The pledge is a symbolic gesture for organizations with no Linux System patents, but it is always valuable for us.  Every new community member helps counter current market threats, and supports the larger movement towards open, collaborative innovation.  In return for the pledge we provide zero-cost services to help deter patent aggression, record innovation and deliver assistance when required.  We are working towards a future where patent aggression is no longer regarded as acceptable.

Naturally this investment extends beyond the community of non-aggression.  We also underwrite activities that allow people to provide more oversight and quality in the existing innovation process and to formally record inventions that are available without restriction to everyone.  Examples include our support of Peer to Patent and Post Peer to Patent, and our substantial investment in "defensive publications."  The defensive publications services may be of the most interest to you.  We have a dedicated website where people can register, submit their innovations, and we will pay to review, record and file them.  When complete the publication is added to the IP.com Prior Art Database, which is used by patent attorneys and the patent and trademark office to search for prior art when examining patent applications:
http://defensivepublications.org

In the first two quarters of 2010 we welcomed 76 new licensees to the community.  Our current community includes projects like GNOME, KDE and OpenWRT, as well as individuals such as Harald Welte (HMW Consulting) and Bram Moolenaar (Vim, Zimbu).  You can see a full list of the participants here:
http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/licensees.php

An overview of our community agreement is here:
http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/pat_license.php
Sorry for all the legalese in the actual agreement.  Basically, it says:
(1) OIN gives you a royalty-free license for our large portfolio of patents and patent applications.
(2) In return you give a royalty-free license for any Linux System patents or patent applications you have to OIN and other licensees.
(3) They do the same for you.
The idea is to get a "even if we hold a Linux System patent, we won't use it against each other" agreement.  This is the starting point for creating a lasting non-aggression norm.

Our Frequently Asked Questions page is here:
http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/about_faq.php

A list of the patents we own and freely license to every community member is here:
http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/pat_owned.php

You may also be interested in our community credentials.

Endorsement from Eben Moglen, Chairman of the Software Freedom Law Center:
http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/now/organizations/OIN
http://videos.linuxfoundation.org/video/1789

Endorsement from Jim Zemlin, Executive Director of the Linux Foundation:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2009/09/09/protecting-linux-from-microsoft-yes-microsoft-got-caught/

This is a serious offer from a well-funded, credible and passionate supporter of the Linux System and open innovation.  I hope we can work together by welcoming you to our non-aggression community.  Your voice is very important to help deal with current market threats while investing in a more collaborative future.  This applies whether you are a large or small project or company, and whether you are actively developing new versions of FOSS code or not.  Your Linux-related makes you a valuable member of our eco-system, and your pledge towards patent non-aggression - whether symbolic or not - has value for us and every other stakeholder in the future of the Linux System.

Regards

Shane

--
Shane Coughlan