pld kernel 2.2.18-14 boot problems

Philip J. Hollenback phil at hollenback.net
Sun Apr 1 00:40:32 CEST 2001

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I successfully built a working 2.2.18
kernel RPM from the PLD kernel source RPM.  I now have a modified
RedHat 6.2 install CD that installs this as the kernel, which is
exactly what I wanted.

The problem, as several people kindly pointed out, was the modular
kernel.  I have to modify kernel.i686.config to compile IDE support,
the VIA chipset, and ext2 into the kernel.  Once I did that, it all
worked.

I do note that depmod on this kernel gives unresolved symbols in

ohci_1394_cb.o and pcilynx_cb.o

I didn't need either of those modules, so I deleted them.

Another glitch is that when I build the kernel from source, the
configure step never runs to completion.  I get a message that the
pipe feeding in the configure options has disappeared, and the build
waits on whatever config option it occurred until I make a choice for
that option.  After that, the build works.  This occurs in random
places, perhaps it is something wrong with my environment.

P.

On Setting Orange, the 17th of Discord, Philip J. Hollenback spake:

--
Philip J. Hollenback
philiph at pobox.com
AYBABTU