An idea

Lukas Dobrek dobrek at itp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Apr 9 22:51:00 CEST 2001

Hi guys,

I have an idea concerning rpm. Firs let me describe what I am
talking about using sshd as an example. I am installing opensshd it creates
the config files in /etc/sshd/ lets say I have modify my sshd_config.
Than I make an upgrade. Rpm will creates new config file as .rpmnew. And
this is good. But let me change my mind. I decide that I dont want to
have sshd on this computer so I am removing the deamon. What will
hapend. The /etc/sshd/sshd_config.rpmnew will still exist. So the
directory /etc/sshd will not be empty rpm will not remove it. And I will
have some rubish in my /etc. I know it is not very important but never
the less we are trying to polish some problems. And this is one of them.
One idea is to add something to %postun or whatever it is call. But this
is a bad idea IMHO. Mayby one with the biger experience in rpm could add
souch a feature to rpm. It should remove not only files but also the
files with suffix .rpmnew, if they are marked as noreplace in spec. It
should not be very deficoult, I am hope.

What do you thing about it?

Take Care

Lukasz

--