Automated update/distribution - feature request

Bob Van Cleef vancleef at microunity.com
Wed Aug 8 19:05:08 CEST 2001

I've played with both the debian and redhat automated update tools,
but they both lack two things that I would love to see.

1 - reporting versions

    Even though both check the version numbers of the installed
    and available packages, neigther of them tell you what they
    found.  I'd like at least the ability to select a package and
    ask what version is installed and what is available.

2 - verification of installation

    I would love to be able to select a package that is "at the
    current level" and be able to verify that it is actually
    installed correctly or that a binary hasn't been corrupted.
   (sort of a tripwire test, but against the RPM, not a local database)

Of the two, dselect is much more informative than up2date.  From my
perspective, up2date doesn't give you adequate information about
what your current state is.

Bob
Bob Van Cleef, Member of Technical Staff         (408) 734-8100
MicroUnity Systems Engineering, Inc.         FAX (408) 734-8136
376 Martin Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95050  vancleef at microunity.com