alpha is dead

Lukas Dobrek dobrek at itp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jul 3 15:13:56 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:24:28AM +0200, Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Lukas Dobrek wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 09:42:56AM +0200, --s+ wrote:
> > > hello, i have just read 'computerworld' and compaq declares
> > > he is finishing 'alpha' line of microprocessors in two years,
> > > he made agreement with intel to only support itanium and next
> > > lines of its server processors.
> > >
> > > should we engage any efforts to support alphas now?
> >
> > IMHO we should. I am using alpha and I will do it for
> > many years. Definitely more then two. And there is many people
> > like me all over the word.
>
> "We" also should time to time do something for fix this or other bug :>
> I don't see is someone is interested on AXP port (also You :> ).
> Many packages do not compiles correctly on AXP or are out of date (latest
> is XFree86 which even do not pass "rpm -bp"). All avalaible packages are
> produced anly because we build all packages on all archs but I don't see
> is it even used or tested by someone.

I am using PLD on axp without problems. It is indeed  true that I've got
not so much time. But it works really. If something important stop
woking I am starting screaming. You cannot press my to compile KDE or
use GNOME on AXP because I am not using any of them eaven on ix86.
And for shure I am not going to use them on machines which are used
for calculatons, sorry Winetou. But there is a sparc in the tunel
I am gonna put my main server with apache php postgres and crap like
that on double procersor alpha with PLD installed.

Take Care
Lukasz

--
Łukasz Dobrek