alpha is dead

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl
Tue Jul 3 10:24:28 CEST 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Lukas Dobrek wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 09:42:56AM +0200, --s+ wrote:
> > hello, i have just read 'computerworld' and compaq declares
> > he is finishing 'alpha' line of microprocessors in two years,
> > he made agreement with intel to only support itanium and next
> > lines of its server processors.
> >
> > should we engage any efforts to support alphas now?
>
> IMHO we should. I am using alpha and I will do it for
> many years. Definitely more then two. And there is many people
> like me all over the word.

"We" also should time to time do something for fix this or other bug :>
I don't see is someone is interested on AXP port (also You :> ).
Many packages do not compiles correctly on AXP or are out of date (latest
is XFree86 which even do not pass "rpm -bp"). All avalaible packages are
produced anly because we build all packages on all archs but I don't see
is it even used or tested by someone.

kloczek