Broken TCL (at least for SDR)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at pld.org.pl
Sat Jun 16 19:12:39 CEST 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 07:56:06PM +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at pld.org.pl> writes:
>
> > The sympom is:
> > SDR stop when selecting session and needs "kill -32" to go on. So it
> > seems the threads make problems.
> >
> > Does really anybody need those features?
> Well probably we can live without them. Are you sure that it's tcl not
> sdr bug?
>
> > Anybody know, how to make sdr
> > (or any other tcl-using program which won't work now) work with
> > them?
> What ,,any other program'' ? Other TCL programs don't work with
> threads enabled tcl or what? I know one program which detects and uses
> thread enabled tcl library.

Now I am trying to compile Tk with threads (Tk and Tcl should mostly be
treated as one), but I go such command:
WARNING: Tk on Unix is known to have problems with thread support. It is
recommended that Tk be used with a non-thread enabled Tcl.

As Tcl is mostly used with Tk I think we should disable thread.

I am trying to compile Tk with --enable-threads anyway. If this fixes my
problem with sdr we could leave threads support in Tcl, if not I will
remove "--enable-threads" from tcl.spec

Greets,
        Jacek