pld kernel 2.2.18-14 boot problems

Michal Margula alchemyx at uznam.top.pl
Mon Mar 12 20:21:51 CET 2001

[poniedziałek, 12 marzec 2001], Philip J. Hollenback napisał(a):

> Hello,

Hello :)

[SNIP!]
> I can successfully rebuild the source rpm under redhat 6.2 and I have
> a working install cd that installs it.  However, I cannot get a
> running system afterwards.  I have a Tyan motherboard with the Via VP
> chipset.  On bootup after install, I alwats get VFS panic - cannot
> mount root.
[SNIP!]

I think your problems lies in two things. First - our kernel is higly
modularized, even ext2 and ide are built as modules. You should check tools
designed for creating initial ram disk - geninitrd. I think it is
straightforward how to use it.

Second problem you may encounter is passing name of root device. If you have
lilo just ignore it, but if you use loadlin.exe or grub you should change
"root=/dev/hda1" into "root=/dev/301". It is just an example. Other numbers
are:

mephisto RPMS~# ls -l /dev/hd?
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hda
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/hdb
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/hdd
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      33,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hde
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      33,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/hdf
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      34,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hdg
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      34,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/hdh

use first number, then add second number and your partition number. e.g.
/dev/hdd6 is /dev/2270. I hope I am right :)

Greetings

--
Michal Margula, alchemyx at uznam.top.pl, ICQ UIN 12267440, +)
http://uznam.top.pl/~alchemyx/, PL section of Linux Counter maintainer