XML catalog

Artur Frysiak wiget at pld.org.pl
Mon May 27 15:01:13 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:54:34PM +0200, wrobell wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 01:37:45PM +0200, Artur Frysiak wrote:
> >
> > You may want to use openjade and dsssl stylesheets to convert XML
> > DocBook 4.1.2 to jadetex/ps/pdf, and you need matching DTD in SGML
> > SuperCatalog.
> Yes, I know, but it is till "may want to" and it is suicide at all.
> openjade/opensp is not maintained actively anymore and I do not know
> any person who uses XML DocBook with DSSSL stylesheets. It is just easier
> to use XSL stylesheets for XML, now. And in case of ps/pdf you have
> more choices at all: renderx, fop, passivetex.

But if you don't register XML DTDs in SGML SuperCatalog then you forces
me to don't use openjade and db2* from docbook-utils package.
I don't like this.

> > So, all --add's from %post are --del'eted in %postun.
> > Using --add nextCatalog with %{version}-%{release} fixes this.
> > Yes, you may protect %post/%postun by if [ $1 == 0 ] but with this you
> > can handle changes in registration scheme in future.
> Having many XML catalogs has some disadvantages.  When you want to use
> specified catalog, then you have to set XML_CATALOG_FILES and please
> note that XML_CATALOG_FILES may only point to one file. When you want to
> change catalog you have to set XML_CATALOG_FILES again.  Daniel Veillard
> (libxml2 author) said that maybe he will change it to handle
> XML_CATALOG_FILES as list of files, but even then it will be
> inconvienient to use.
>
> I would prefer 'if [ $1 == 0]' as it is for adding and deleting users
> within packages.

You don't understand me. I suggest using
xmlcatalog --add nextCatalog foo /path/to/xml/catalog/from/package
and this *not* require XML_CATALOG_FILES mangling. Simply if libxml2
find <nextCatalog uri="/path/to/xml/catalog/from/package" /> in
/etc/xml/catalog then look in /path/to/xml/catalog/from/package.

Regards
--
Artur Frysiak
http://www.pld.org.pl/