XML catalog

wrobell wrobell at ite.pl
Mon May 27 15:18:59 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 03:01:13PM +0200, Artur Frysiak wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:54:34PM +0200, wrobell wrote:
> > On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 01:37:45PM +0200, Artur Frysiak wrote:
> > >
> > > You may want to use openjade and dsssl stylesheets to convert XML
> > > DocBook 4.1.2 to jadetex/ps/pdf, and you need matching DTD in SGML
> > > SuperCatalog.
> > Yes, I know, but it is till "may want to" and it is suicide at all.
> > openjade/opensp is not maintained actively anymore and I do not know
> > any person who uses XML DocBook with DSSSL stylesheets. It is just easier
> > to use XSL stylesheets for XML, now. And in case of ps/pdf you have
> > more choices at all: renderx, fop, passivetex.
>
> But if you don't register XML DTDs in SGML SuperCatalog then you forces
> me to don't use openjade and db2* from docbook-utils package.
> I don't like this.
And I do not like hacks in docbook-dtd*-xml.spec like:

    # associate default declaration for xml
    # and map system identifier for xml because opensp seems to misinterpret
    # xml-style system identifiers (file://...)
    cat <<EOF >>$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-%{ver}/catalog

      -- default decl --
      DTDDECL "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V%{ver}//EN" "../../xml.dcl"
        -- hacks for opensp --
        SYSTEM "file://%{_datadir}/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-%{ver}/docbookx.dtd" "%{_datadir}/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-%{ver}/docbookx.dtd"
        SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/%{ver}/docbookx.dtd"                  "%{_datadir}/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-%{ver}/docbookx.dtd"

        EOF

If there should be SGML SuperCatalog support for XML DTDs, then opensp
should be fixed.  If you really use DocBook XML with openjade, then
please fix opensp. :-]]

In xmlcatalog branch I will remove hack mentioned above and support for
SGML SuperCatalog. When opensp will be fixed then support for SGML
SuperCatalog will be back.

> > > So, all --add's from %post are --del'eted in %postun.
> > > Using --add nextCatalog with %{version}-%{release} fixes this.
> > > Yes, you may protect %post/%postun by if [ $1 == 0 ] but with this you
> > > can handle changes in registration scheme in future.
> > Having many XML catalogs has some disadvantages.  When you want to use
> > specified catalog, then you have to set XML_CATALOG_FILES and please
> > note that XML_CATALOG_FILES may only point to one file. When you want to
> > change catalog you have to set XML_CATALOG_FILES again.  Daniel Veillard
> > (libxml2 author) said that maybe he will change it to handle
> > XML_CATALOG_FILES as list of files, but even then it will be
> > inconvienient to use.
> >
> > I would prefer 'if [ $1 == 0]' as it is for adding and deleting users
> > within packages.
>
> You don't understand me. I suggest using
> xmlcatalog --add nextCatalog foo /path/to/xml/catalog/from/package
> and this *not* require XML_CATALOG_FILES mangling. Simply if libxml2
> find <nextCatalog uri="/path/to/xml/catalog/from/package" /> in
> /etc/xml/catalog then look in /path/to/xml/catalog/from/package.
OK, now I understand.

    wrobell <wrobell at ite.pl>